Volunteer at Corbenic!

What's it like?


Many of our co-workers commit themselves to spending a year with us at Corbenic.

In deciding whether to become a voluntary co-worker at Corbenic you should bear in mind that you will share your life with the residents. This sometimes involves long hours spent with the residents at work or leisure. You must also be prepared to accept responsibility and sometimes meet frustrations. However, with an open and willing attitude you will find Corbenic and its people both satisfying and rewarding.

You will also have the opportunity of meeting like-minded young people from Europe and beyond and have a brilliant time too. A real life-enhancing, life-changing experience...

We have so many different nationalities at Corbenic – a veritable mini United Nations indeed!

The induction training course which meets once a week also covers the development of practical skills in working with people with learning disabilities and includes personal care mentioned above, cultural aspects of Camphill life and the basic concepts of anthroposophy.

Where will I live?


Living Conditions

Unlike many other Camphill communities in the United Kingdom our house-parents do not live in the Community, but there will always be one or two house-parents available at any time within the Community. As a voluntary co-worker, you would be provided with full board and lodging, although you may be required to share a room with another co-worker, and basic pocket money per month. You would have one day off per week and one long weekend every three weeks, provided there are enough co-workers to cover, and there are no special events that weekend.

After completing three months service and provided you are 21 years of age and hold a driving licence which permits you to drive in the United Kingdom you would have the use of the co-worker car. To qualify for driving the car you would have to pass a test after receiving tuition.

How can I help?

The Work of Our Volunteer Co-workers at Corbenic Community

SP14 SP12

All our residents have learning disabilities; some are quite independent, while others do need constant care and supervision. There are people at Corbenic who require help with personal care (bathing, dressing, eating etc.) and co-workers joining us should be willing to be involved with such care.

If you come to Corbenic, you will quickly realise how different residents are from each other, because we actively promote their individuality. An implication of this is that we have to realise and respond to residents according to their individual personalities and needs.

What's life like at Corbenic?

As in all Camphill communities the cultural life is strong and it is often centred around the Christian Festivals, which are celebrated throughout the year. Many of our cultural activities involve preparation for them with drama, singing and music. There are regular trips to concerts, theatre and the cinema, and occasionally visiting artists, musicians and actors.

During your stay with us, free medical treatment will be provided through the local surgery, as part of the National Health Service. It should be noted that the habitual use of drugs or alcohol is not compatible with life in a Camphill Community. Outside the clearly designated smoking areas, smoking within the confines of the buildings, including bedrooms and workshops is strictly prohibited.

You are asked to bring sufficient clothes for winter and summer use and for working out of doors (waterproof clothing is essential) as well as clothing suitable for evening and weekend activities (skirts, dresses, jackets etc.) If you play a musical instrument, it would be appreciated if you bring it with you.

How will I get there?

Travel Arrangements

If you arrive in the United Kingdom via London there is one direct train each day from Kings Cross Station to Perth or Dunkeld. There are also long distance motor coach services between Victoria Coach Station and Perth or Dunkeld. If you arrive via Edinburgh, Glasgow or Aberdeen there are direct train services to Perth or Dunkeld. There are also motor coach services between these cities and Perth. We expect people joining us for less than one year to be responsible for their travel expenses to and from the Community. Those people joining us for one year or more, should purchase an open-ended return ticket, and, on leaving Corbenic, will have the return portion of the fare reimbursed, upon production of the ticket, to a maximum of £230 within Europe and £500 outside Europe.



How do I apply?

You will need to fill in an application form first. When you send it back, please remember to include:

  • passport sized photograph
  • current police check